The City of Champaign is a community that invests in planning and enjoys the outcomes of having a city that is very livable with great neighborhoods, a lively downtown and an equitable transportation network. Consider joining the team that helps make these outcomes possible. The City seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as an Associate Planner in the Planning and Development Department. The anticipated start date is early summer, 2023.
Responsibilities of Position
The Associate Planner position is a great opportunity to put into practice planning theory and principles. This position assists senior staff with long-range planning, zoning/development review, and economic development. The Associate Planner collects and analyzes land-use and socio-economic data for long-range planning initiatives; prepares maps and graphics; and creates and gives presentations to boards/commissions and community members. They also write reports, review and provide recommendations on zoning and subdivision requests, and interprets/explains ordinances and programs to developers and the public.
The annual starting salary range is $64,690 - $73,642, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter and resume, must be submitted online no later than Sunday, April 16, 2023.
- A bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or a related field.
- Or an equivalent combination of work experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
- Demonstrated understanding of planning principles and practices.
- Research and data analysis experience.
- Report writing experience.
- Collaborative team member.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience (through employment or internships) that demonstrates a working knowledge of planning principles.
- Knowledge of planning principles within a municipal government structure.
- Experience giving presentations.
- Knowledge of software applications used to create planning-related maps/graphics/video such as select Adobe Creative Cloud products.
- Knowledge of data analysis using GIS.